Jul 6, 2023
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks
with the Patient Empowerment Network’s Tracy Rode
about providing patients with tools for advocacy, developing
accessible patient resources and more.
• Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive 1:11
• About Rode 1:23
• The interview 2:34
• Can you tell us about your journey and how you ended up in this space as such a strong voice for patient advocates? 2:52
• Tell me more about Patient Empowerment Network (PEN), what it does for patients and what it does for health care workers 9:06
• Jain and Rode on how health care workers can improve ways to communicate information to patients in ways they can absorb 14:03
• How do you suggest patients and physicians use the resources provided by organizations like PEN? What is the best way to incorporate education into a clinical visit? 19:06
• Rode and Jain on examples of how much easier it is today for patients to come across misinformation in media, and how organizations can help patients avoid this misinformation 21:50
• Jain and Rode on patient accessibility and benefits to understanding clinical trials 26:35
• Can you share how your cancer diagnosis impacted the way you transitioned into thinking about patient advocacy issues and your approach to them? 29:13
• If someone could only listen to the last two minutes of this episode, what would you want them to take away? 31:35
• How to contact Rode 34:13
• Thanks for listening 35:20
Tracy Rode is the executive director of the Patient Empowerment Network (PEN). Rode brings over two decades of non-profit leadership experience, including working with diverse patient populations to improve patient outcomes and increase access to care.
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr.
Jain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Healio on Twitter and LinkedIn: @HemOncToday and https://www.linkedin.com/company/hemonctoday/.
Follow Dr. Jain on Twitter:
@ShikhaJainMD. Rode and the Patient Empowerment Network can be
reached at powerfulpatients.org, or via
LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter @power4patients.
Disclosures: Jain and Rode report no relevant financial disclosures.