Aug 10, 2023
In this episode, hosts Shikha Jain, MD, Douglas H.
Jones, MD, Amy Comander, MD, Dagny Zhu, MD, Don Dizon, MD, and Mark
A. Lewis, MD, discuss the new social media platform,
Threads and how physicians can use it for their practice.
• Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive :57
• The topic 1:10
• How many have created a profile on Threads? Why or why not? 2:59
• Dr. Jain has a Thread profile but is unsure how to get more engagement 3:20
• Dr. Lewis has convinced coworkers to use social media but has not used Threads yet 4:54
• Dr. Dizon has a Thread profile but notes that leaving other platforms is leaving those communities and starting all over on a new platform 6:25
• Giving Threads more time to pick up followers and engagement 11:18
• Dr. Zhu has a Thread profile and found it easy to create but engagement is not the same as other platforms 12:17
• Tips and tricks to sharing content on socials, especially Threads 14:33
• Trouble with other social media platforms 17:55
• Tips and tricks to building a community on a social media 20:20
• The power of social media platforms and engagement in established communities 22:30
• Fighting misinformation 25:13
• Platforms versus audience 27:15
• How would you like to see Threads change as a platform? 31:21
• What is the power of TikTok in terms of getting movement among communities? 33:31
• How do you create a profile on Threads? 40:30
• Level of engagement: Twitter vs. Threads 43:31
• The overwhelming number of platforms 52:29
• What is the best platform for physicians to use? 53:41
• Sharable content to post across other platforms 55:34
• Final thoughts 58:09
• Thanks for listening 1:02:13
Douglas H. Jones, MD, is the cofounder of Global Food Therapy, cofounder and president of Food Allergy Support Team and director of Rocky Mountain Allergy at Tanner Clinic. You can follow him on Threads @drdouglasjones.
Amy Comander, MD, DipABLM, is director of breast oncology and survivorship at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center in Waltham and at Newton-Wellesley, and medical director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center in Waltham. She is director of the Lifestyle Medicine Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center. She is also an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School. You can follow her on Threads @dramycomander.
Shika Jain, MD, FACP, is an associate professor of medicine with tenure in the division of hematology, oncology and cell therapy at the University of Illinois Cancer Center in Chicago. She is the director of communication strategies in medicine and associate director of oncology communication and digital innovation. She also is consulting editor for Healio Women in Oncology, as well as host of Healio's Oncology Overdrive podcast. You can follow her on Threads @shikajainmd.
Dagny Zhu, MD, is a cornea, cataract, and refractive surgeon and medical director and partner at NVISION Eye Centers in Rowland Heights, CA. You can follow her on Threads @dzeyemd.
Don S. Dizon, MD, FACP, FASCO, is head of community outreach and engagement at the Cancer Center at Brown University and head of the breast and pelvic malignancies program at Lifespan Cancer Institute. You can follow him on Twitter (X) and TikTok @drdonsdizon.
Mark A. Lewis, MD, is the director of gastrointestinal oncology at Intermountain Healthcare in Murray, Utah, and a medical oncologist specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract and accessory organs. You can follow him on Twitter (X) @marklewismd.
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr. Jain at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Healio on Twitter and LinkedIn: @HemOncToday and https://www.linkedin.com/company/hemonctoday/. Follow Dr. Jain on Twitter: @ShikhaJainMD.
Disclosures: The moderators and panelists report no relevant financial disclosures.