Mar 2, 2023
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks with Lipi Roy, MD, about using her voice and platform to advocate for underserved populations, media’s role in educating and empowering the public and more.
· Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive :14
· About Roy :26
· The interview 2:07
· Tell me about how you got to where you are today. 2:47
· How did you find yourself at Rikers, and how did you feel it was different from what you were expecting? 11:24
· Jain and Roy on discussions toward improving the prison system in the United States 16:41
· How did you break into the media space? … How did you get your foot in the door, take that first step, and navigate that? 19:21
· Roy on the close relationship between media and advocacy, and what physicians can do to advocate for social, criminal and gender justice issues 32:52
· Jain and Roy on restructuring the compensation system for physicians in the health care system and compensating physicians who are media contributors 35:03
· If someone could only listen to the last minute of this episode, what would you want them to take away? 39:20
· How to contact Roy 39:40
· Thanks for listening 41:28
Lipi Roy, MD, is an internal medicine physician board-certified in addiction medicine, a sought-after international speaker, media personality as well as host of the YouTube series, Health, Humor and Harmony.
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr. Jain at email@example.com. Follow us on Twitter @HemOncToday and @ShikhaJainMD Dr. Roy can be reached on Twitter @lipiroy, Facebook, Instagram @lipiroymd, TikTok @lipiroymd, her website and YouTube channel (subscribe for free!).
Disclosures: Jain reports no relevant financial disclosures. Roy is a faculty speaker/consultant for the Poynter Institute.