Aug 31, 2023
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks
with Cardinal Health’s Parisa Asgarisabet, PhD and
Scott Swain, PhD, MPH about benefits and uses of
real-world evidence, the issue of diversity in clinical trials and
• Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive 1:11
• About Swain 1:26
• About Asgarisabet 2:45
• The interview 3:30
• About Swain and how you ended up at Cardinal Health 3:50
• About Asgarisabet’s journey and how she ended up at Cardinal Health 5:09
• What is Cardinal Health and why should people know about the work they are doing? 6:37
• How is the work Cardinal Health is doing directly applicable to practicing oncologists? 7:30
• Jain, Asgarisabet, and Swain on Representation of age, race and ethnicity in real-world evidence (RWE), randomized clinical trial (RCT), and Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) cancer patient registry data in advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC). 10:32
• How can we scale real world data in a bigger way and make this the standard as opposed to the exception? 14:02
• Jain and Swain on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the clinical trials design space 17:57
• Asgarisabet and Swain on the economic implications of a lack of diversity in clinical trials 19:53
• Swain and Jain on the importance of community engagement and outreach in achieving diversity of backgrounds in clinical trials 24:42
• What do you think are the next steps to implement real world data in order to make a larger impact? 27:38
• Should real world data be used in concert with randomized controlled trials or should this data be used independently? 29:02
• When we talk about these types of transformation in how we look at diseases and deciding the best plan of action, do you anticipate there being a challenge with insurance companies approving treatments using real world data? 30:27
• If someone could only listen to the last two minutes of this episode, what would you want them to take away? 35:18
• How to contact Swain and Asgarisabet 37:57
• Thanks for listening 39:13
Scott Swain, PhD, MPH is a Director of
Regulatory Science and Real-world Evidence with Cardinal
Parisa Asgarisabet, PhD is a Lead statistician in the Real-World Evidence & Insights team at Cardinal Health.
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr.
Jain at email@example.com.
Follow Healio on Twitter and LinkedIn: @HemOncToday and https://www.linkedin.com/company/hemonctoday/.
Follow Dr. Jain on Twitter:
@ShikhaJainMD. Asgarisabet can be reached via LinkedIn or via
Swain can be reached via LinkedIn or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosures: Jain reports no relevant financial disclosures. Asgarisabet and Swain are employees and shareholders of Cardinal Health.