Aug 10, 2020
Narjust Duma, MD, is a thoracic oncologist,
gender equity warrior and social media phenomenon. In this episode,
we discuss recent events, microaggressions against women and people
of color, and the beauty of diversity.
- Intro :14
- About Duma :18
- Jain’s history with Duma 2:08
- The interview 3:09
- How did you start getting into this specific work where you
started doing research looking at the gender disparities that exist
in oncology? 6:09
- Jain anecdote on conforming to gender standards that changed
her personality 10:17
- Microaggression against women in power in the workplace and
gender-based language 16:45
- Duma’s anecdote about cheese and the beauty of diversity
- Journal of Vascular Surgery’s controversial article on
professional behavior 24:12
- Patients want their doctors to be human beings, not robots
- Duma’s thoughts on the #MedBikini movement, gender equity and
- Duma on minority women being reluctantly volunteered to fix
issues with gender inequalities and ethnic and racial inequalities
- Duma anecdote on the importance of the bystander effect on
treating microaggressions 39:10
- The importance of positive feedback and giving of self for
- Anecdotes on food and how it equates to living life
- Duma on using your challenges and discouragements to fuel your
- Duma’s pearls 52:48
- How to find Duma 53:18
Narjust Duma, MD, is an assistant professor and
thoracic oncologist at the University of Wisconsin’s School of
Medicine and Public Health and the co-founder of Latinas in
Hardouin S, et al. J Vasc
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: We should all be feminists.
House AOC Recording - AOC Final. https://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/9yPHdik6-HWSueGzu.html.
July 23, 2020. (Note: The video includes profanity).
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr.
Jain at email@example.com.
Dr. Narjust Duma can be reached at @NarjustDumaMD. Follow us
on Twitter @HemOncToday @ShikhaJainMD
Disclosures: Duma reports consulting for
AstraZeneca and Inivata, Inc. Jain reports she is a paid freelance
writer for Lippincott.