Feb 16, 2023
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks with Raj Sundar, MD, about cultural competency and humility in medicine, building a healing relationship with patients and more.
· Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive :14
· About Sundar :21
· The interview :53
· Tell me about how you got to where you are today. What was your journey to becoming a family physician, health equity leader and a podcast host? 1:16
· About cultural competency training in medicine and education 7:37
· Jain and Sundar on the challenges of discussing cultural competency in medical training 12:25
· About cultural humility and incorporating it into medical education and practice 13:10
· What do we need to do to practice medicine and be good citizens in 2023? 15:31
· Jain and Sundar on ways in which we can connect with somebody without saying something that could be culturally insensitive 20:45
· How do we provide cultural competencies and humilities? How do we work towards helping our learners actually gain the skills they need? 23:00
· As someone in a leadership position, how do you incorporate this into your daily practice? 26:33
· Have you seen a shift or changes in your experience over the last couple of years with the pandemic? 32:17
· Sundar on Marshall Ganz’s community organizing models and how they can be applied in the health care industry 35:11
· If someone could only listen to the end of this episode, what would you want them to take away? 37:49
· How to contact Sundar 38:17
· Thanks for listening 38:56
Raj Sundar, MD, is a family physician and community organizer working as a full-spectrum family medicine physician at Kaiser Permanente Washington. Sundar serves as the associate medical director of the Burien Medical Center, where he is the leader of the Health Equity Action Team (HEAT).
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr. Jain at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Twitter @HemOncToday and @ShikhaJainMD. Dr. Sundar can be contacted at healthcareforhumans.org.
Listen to Dr. Sundar’s Healthcare for Humans wherever you get your podcasts!
Disclosures: Jain and Sundar report no relevant financial disclosures.