May 4, 2023
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks
with Edward Kim, MD about what it means to be a
disruptive innovator, how to lead efforts in health care system
changes and more.
• Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive 1:11
• About Kim 1:19
• The interview 3:00
• What was your journey into oncology and the leadership roles you hold now? 3:27
• Jain and Kim on changing specialties in medical school and in careers 10:45
• Kim on family, his relationship with his daughter, and their viral Taylor Swift concert video 12:34
• Jain on the upcoming Healio Disruptive Innovators Awards and how to register 17:46
• What do you think disruptive innovation means? … Why did you agree to join this initiative? 18:07
• Jain on framing disruptive innovation as a positive within the struggles of the health care system 23:34
• How can we get our systems and delivery of health care to reflect the innovation that we see in medical technology advances, cancer care advances and other advances now to disrupt things for the future? 25:02
• Jain and Kim on perceptions of certain treatments, and how it can prevent forward-thinking innovation 31:36
• Why do we allow ourselves to fall into that trap in health care? … Why have we taken so many years to start addressing these innovations on a larger scale? 32:54
• Kim and Jain on risk aversion for physicians and how questioning systems has evolved 37:36
• If someone could only listen to the few minutes of this episode, what would you want them to take away? 43:02
• How to contact Kim 44:27
• Thanks for listening 45:10
Edward S. Kim, M.D., M.B.A., FACP, FASCO, is physician-in-chief and senior vice president, City of Hope Orange County, and vice physician-in-chief and professor, City of Hope National Medical Center.
Learn more about Healio Disruptive Innovators Awards on June 3, 2023, and how to register.
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr.
Jain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Healio on Twitter and LinkedIn: @HemOncToday and https://www.linkedin.com/company/hemonctoday/.
Follow Dr. Jain on Twitter:
@ShikhaJainMD. Kim can be reached via LinkedIn, Facebook, on
or via email email@example.com.
Disclosures: Jain reports no relevant financial disclosures. Kim reports affiliation with Boerhinger Ingelheim, Genentech and Mirati.