Sep 8, 2022
In this episode, host Shikha Jain, MD, speaks
with hematologist, medical educator and University of Pennsylvania
director of the women’s thrombosis and hemostasis program,
Ariela Marshall, MD, about fertility advocacy for
patients and physicians, navigating the medical system as physician
parents and more.
- Welcome to another exciting episode of Oncology Overdrive
- About Marshall :18
- The interview: 1:44
- How did you get involved and interested in doing the work in
the fertility space, and what led you to that world?
- Do you think that some of this is due to the fact the way our
healthcare system is set up in a way where women’s symptoms are
often disregarded, or the way we look at our patients is riddled
with implicit bias? Why do you think that this is such a huge
- What has been your experience with physicians and physician
infertility? … Is it something that we have ideas of how we can
really move the needle and change this?
- Have you noticed any sort of culture shift, or do you think we
still have a really long way to go in that space?
- Creating and normalizing an office environment where family is
a priority 22:48
- Cultures and responses to reproductive health in the physician
- How the overturning of Roe v. Wade is going to impact
infertility and fertility treatment
- Is there hope for the future when we talk about these things? …
Looking at the data, is this something that we can strive for or
may change? 21:03
- What are your future plans for this type of work and your
research? What are you thinking the next steps are going to be?
- If somebody could only listen to 2 minutes of today’s episode,
what would you want them to take away?
- How to contact Marshall 41:16
- Thanks for listening 43:00
Ariela Marshall, MD, is a hematologist, medical
educator and the director of the Women’s Thrombosis and Hemostasis
program at University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia,
We’d love to hear from you! Send your comments/questions to Dr.
Jain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter @HemOncToday and @ShikhaJainMD. Marshall can be reached
on Twitter @AMarshallMD.
Disclosures: Jain and Marshall report no
relevant financial disclosures.